Human
Let me tell the tale
Of a girl who didn’t stop,
Who climbed up every mountain
Without a pause upon the top.
She’d dance until each blade of grass
Was clothed in drops of dew,
And the sun knew her by name
But the silver moon did too.
For a fear had settled in her bones;
A fear of sitting still,
That if you’re not moving forward
It must mean you never will.
When in time her dance got slower
And she looked at all she’d seen,
She found gaps in the places
That she’d never fully been,
For she was a human doing
Human moving, human seeing,
But she’d never taken time
To simply be a human being.
~e.h
Of a girl who didn’t stop,
Who climbed up every mountain
Without a pause upon the top.
She’d dance until each blade of grass
Was clothed in drops of dew,
And the sun knew her by name
But the silver moon did too.
For a fear had settled in her bones;
A fear of sitting still,
That if you’re not moving forward
It must mean you never will.
When in time her dance got slower
And she looked at all she’d seen,
She found gaps in the places
That she’d never fully been,
For she was a human doing
Human moving, human seeing,
But she’d never taken time
To simply be a human being.
~e.h
I came across this poem on Pinterest last night and couldn't get over how accurate and poignant it was.
Erin Hanson has so many beautiful poems relating to a points that we're often to afraid or blind to admit or comprehend on our own. This particular fitted me perfectly for where I'm at.
Having come to a very sudden stop and stand still it's hard to see how I'm going to start moving again. Looking around and trying to convince myself that "nothing is wasted" that "this is where you need to be right now", I struggle to make sense of it all. But perhaps this poem hits the nail on the head. Maybe I have a fear of sitting still (patience never was my strong point). Maybe this is a time to face that fear, that doesn't mean being lazy and doing literally nothing. It means taking this time (whatever length that is) to just be a human being.
My everyday aim for this life is to live it, however, sometimes when we're so busy "living" our life we loose ourselves. We all need times of quiet to just be still and be us.
a beautiful poem and yes, just for you. Reminds me of a Bible verse, "be still and know that I am God", it goes on to say, I will do this, I will do that but right now just be still.
ReplyDeleteHey Ruth, how are you? Are you still at Londonacademy? Let's keep in touch!
DeleteTake care
Eden
Ps: my email is nol.eden93@gmail.com