Saturday, 23 January 2016

The Big 2 0

Hello my lovely readers, I hope you're all well and happy!

Well it's that time of year again for me when I add another year to my age. 20 isn't exactly a special age, compared to for example: 1, 18, 21, 50 or 100, but it's the end of the era known and feared by all: the 'teens'. 

I'll always be the first to say 'age is just a number', well maybe after my Grandma who doesn't let anything stop her from bungee jumping or tobogganing down from the Great Wall of China, and I will never let my age prevent me from living my life. Even if that means acting like I'm in my 30s when I'm a teenager (or even 70s - I can act like a grandma myself sometimes), or having fun and feeling free like a teenager when I'm in my 40s, 60s or when I'm 90!

Life is too short to be limited by anything, let alone just a number (for the Mean Girls fans out there, we all know that "the limit does not exist").

Now there are a lot of things wrong with being a teenager, it's when you realise that life sucks, (there are "highs and lows" as my Dad just corrected me) and a lot of crap happens - mostly in a concentrated place known as high school- plus a lot of changes and big decisions take place, not to mention the exams, I mean, come on whoever thought that was fair! The worst phrase you can ever say to a teenager: "this is the best time of your life" - cause that really doesn't make the future look promising!

But you know what, now that I can look back, a lot is good about being a teenager, apart from the fact that there is a lot less to worry about, it can be ONE of the best times of your life if you make it one. It's a time to make mistakes and to learn from them, a chance to grow, to try new things, opportunity to discover and create yourself, and to try and work out who you want to be.

And in the spirit of "age is just a number" who says all that discovery has to be limited to between 13 and 19. Life is about discovery and creativity so don't stop doing that just because you're not that age anymore, I'm not just because I turned 20. And who knows maybe this will be the "the best time of my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment