I hope you are enjoying 2016 so far!
Having finally caught up on the awe-inspiring, breathtaking show, that is, of course, 'Sherlock', the latest episode inspired me to think, and therefore write, about our behaviour towards the past.
As Sherlock Holmes rightly said, "we all have a past"; there is no escaping or changing it, in fact, why should we? The past shaped us and formed our present, the very person we are, without our past we have no today. So why are we afraid of it?
The other statement that Sherlock also proclaims in this episode is:
"There are no ghosts in this world. Save those we make for ourselves....They are the shadows that define our every sunny day".
Aside from proving the incredible writing of this epic show, it also speaks a truth that I think we can all relate to.We haunt ourselves with the mistakes of our past, we create our own ghosts, but why? Why do we spend time fixating so much on what has already gone? I believe than one of the main reasons, goes back to one of the most common fears; fear of the unknown. We cling to our past because we know (to a certain extent) what happened then, but the future however, what an unfolding, terrifying mystery that is.
What is to be done then? I think the answer is we have to face and conquer the ghosts we ourselves created, which means defeating the fears we have, not only about what has been, but also about what is yet to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment